- Instrument: Gibson ES-125
- Made In Year: 1950
- Serial Number: 5514
- Finish: Sunburst
- Original Finish: Yes
- Original Parts: Yes
- Handedness: RH
- Body Material: Laminated maple
- Finish Material: Nitro cellulose
- Neck/Fingerboard: Mahogany/Indian Rosewood
- Weight: 5lbs3oz (2.36kg)
- Scale Length: 24 3/4″
- Nut Width: 1- 11/16″
- Neck Profile: Full C
- Electronics: Original P-90, original pots and untouched wiring.
- Case: Original red-lined brown arched hard.
- Modifications/Repairs: Nil
- Condition: Excellent
- Playability Notes: This is an outstanding ES-125 which plays and sounds as well as it looks.
1950 Gibson ES-125
This totally original 1950 Gibson ES-125 is in excellent condition with almost no playing wear to mark its 73 year history. Introduced in 1946, and in continuous production until 1970, the ES-125 model was Gibson’s entry point for aspiring jazz guitarists seeking a professional grade electric archtop. With a classic full depth but lightweight laminated maple body and much-prized 1950s Gibson neck profile identical to its more expensive stablemates, here we have a guitar that is a delight to play. Unplugged at home the acoustic tone is pleasant. Engage a valve amp and the now-famous P-90 pickup offers a full range of tones from mellow jazz to cutting blues and rock. Structurally perfect with excellent neck set and action; frets in excellent condition. All hardware is original from the “diamond” trapeze tailpiece to the adjustable bridge, tortoiseshell pickguard, Kluson deluxe 3-on-a-plate tuners and gold bonnet knobs. Gibson ‘Factory Order Numbers’ with a letter code did not start until 1952, and the stamp ‘5514’ inside the body of this guitar aligns with Gruhn’s Guide for 1950. Overall, a magnificent vintage Gibson, presented in its original arched brown hard case.