Maton introduced its ‘Premier’ line of guitars in 1952, we place this early example in 1954 or ’55. The raised central headstock panel is seen only the first half of the 1950s, and this has the smaller 15″ x 18″ body size that predates the later Premiers with their 16″ lower bout and 20″ length. In perfect proportion to the body size, the scale length is 22.5″. This is a very lightly built but very strong archtop acoustic. The neck set and action are very good, there’s plenty of life in the frets, and the resonant body provides a surprisingly big voice, more rounded and resonant than most of the archtop acoustics we see. All hardware, finish and fittings are original to the guitar, except the decal is a replacement. The lacquer is very thin and worn on the back and the back of neck. Interior label with Serial No. 291. Comes with what we believe to be its original black fibre hard case of the era that fits the guitar well. A classic and very playable vintage Maton!
Sold – Maton Premier c. 1955
- Brand: Maton
- Model: Premier
- Serial No: 291 on interior label; Also No. 22570 (?) and ‘Made in Australia’ impressed on back of headstock
- Finish: Tobacco burst
- Original Finish: Yes
- Original Parts: Yes
- Made In Year: c.1953
- Body Material: Canadian Spruce top, Blackwood sides and back
- Finish Material: Nitrocellulose
- Neck/Fret board: Rosewood / Black Bean
- Radius: 9.5″
- Weight: 3.9lbs (1.77kg)
- Scale Length: 22.5″”
- Nut Width: 1-3/4″ (44.5mm)
- Neck Profile: Soft V
- Case: Black Fibreboard 1950s
- Issues/Repairs: Replacement decal; lacquer is worn on back and neck.
- Condition: Very Good+
- Notes: A historic Maton that plays exceptionally well.